We seek to offer educational opportunities to young deserving women and to promote knowledge, friendship, and understanding among the people of the Americas. All proceeds from our fundraisers and donations go toward scholarships, the Flying Doctors and ReSurge.
We fulfill our mission by:
– Offering Scholarships to promote education
– Promoting friendship and understanding among people of the western hemisphere
– Learning and sharing information about other cultures of the Americas
– Raising and donating funds to non-profit medical organizations, who provide medical and surgical services to children and adults in Mexico and Central America
– Participating in member projects
– Attending weekly and monthly meetings
– Having Speaker events to enlighten members and guests
The Scholarship committee is comprised of three key members; Lillian Barna, Helen Lemmon and Maruja Reilly. We have been offering scholarships to local high school students who want to further advance their education. In the last ten years the Los Gatos–Saratoga PART has been providing scholarships to students at West Valley College, in Saratoga, and to Evergreen College, in San Jose, California. Our scholarship recipients usually complete their degree at San Jose State University.
At left, Shannon, one of our 2012 scholarship recipients
We also offer yearly financial contributions to the Flying Doctors, and to ReSurge. Both organizations provide medical-surgical services to needy children of the Americas that require delicate operations and other costly medical attention.